THE FIRST TANK CREWS

The life stories of those who crewed the first tanks in September 1916

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Looking for Clues for a WW1 Tank Corps Soldier

Kevin Sadler

Hello my great grandfather was in the tanks in WW1 and I am trying to find out more about what he might have been involved in during the Great War.

I have found his medals card, and from that I have deduced a certain amount of information. He must have volunteered in February 1915, joining The Queen's (West Surrey) Regiment. As his date of entry to the war is 31/08/1915 I reckon that would put him in the 8th Batallion who went to France at that time (and have been able to find out quite a bit about what the 8th did).

At some point after he joined the Tank Corps.

SHIPTON, Harry Augustus 95607

He appears to have been wounded - I have found the Silver War Badge record which has him as not fit for active duty and left service on 23rd Aug 1918, at the time he was acting Cpl.

Harry survived the war and lived into his 90s.

Any clues as to when he might have joined the Tank Corps and what brigade or battalion he might have been in would be fantastic.

I am hoping to take my daughters, his great-great-grandchildren, to Bovingdon this week and it would be great to be able to tell them more about him.

Thanks, Kevin

April 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.